standing in solidarity with
WHAT WE DO
The GANG is committed to raise awareness and financially support African grandmothers, their orphaned grandchildren and their communities as they evolve as a result of HIV & AIDS.
The money we raise goes directly to grassroots organizations providing simple necessities: school fees, food, clothing, grief counselling. Since 2006 the GANG has raised close to one million dollars, funds that support grandmothers and communities in sub-Saharan Africa. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you very much for your support!
- to honour the wisdom and experience of the grandmothers of Africa and Canada.
- for the dignity of others in our efforts to work towards social justice.
Stand in solidarity
The struggle in Africa against AIDS has wiped out a generation of parents, leaving grandmothers in Africa to raise their grandchildren-and often the grandchildren of others-on their own. We stand in solidarity with them, and we will not rest until they can rest.
WHO WE ARE
Building awareness, raising funds
Our goals are:
- to raise awareness about African grandmothers, their strengths and their needs.
- to stand in solidarity with them.
- to mobilize support for them.
- to advocate on their behalf.
We are committed to:
- respecting the culture, values and life experiences of African people.
- thinking globally and acting locally.
- promoting social justice through solidarity and consultation.
- protecting human dignity for those we work with.
- respecting and promoting the campaign guidelines of the Stephen Lewis Foundation
- advocating so that we are honouring the wisdom and experience of the grandmothers of Africa and Canada.
- advocating for the dignity of others in our efforts to work towards social justice.
WHO WE WORK WITH
The Stephen Lewis Foundation
Dear Grandmothers and Grandothers, I have some difficult news to share with you as valued members of the SLF family. Below you will find a letter from Stephen about his health that he has asked us to share. We know that you send Stephen your best wishes. He is in good spirits and continues to work as his energy allows. Warm regards,Meg FrenchExecutive Director A personal note: I have unhappy news. The cancer that I managed to…
Thanks to everyone who supported our online store. We have closed temporarily to allow us some time to build up our stock of quality handmade items. Watch this space for store updates, and thank you for supporting the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign!
Grandmother groups across Canada are celebrating the 15th anniversary of Grandmothers to Grandmothers, supporting grandmothers and communities in sub-Saharan Africa. The GANG is planning a series of activities; some of these will increase our knowledge about the 15 African countries that host projects supported by the Stephen Lewis Foundation. -Our general meeting in March featured guest speaker Shayna Buhler, who discussed the Southern Africa Nutrition Initiative in Zambia and Malawi. -The national online event “Together…