Here are the directions for knitting squares.
- Each square must be 8 inches. Yarn must be washable. Polyester or Acrylic please.
- 36-40 stitches on #4 mm. needles works well. The amount of stitches will depend on your wool and
tension, you might need to knit a few rows to obtain the right count. Some like to make an 8 inch
cardboard square as their guide.
- Cast on and off loosely.
- Slipping the first stitch will give you a nice clean edge.
- Garter stitch is the easiest to work with ( knit every row) but other patterns are fine as long as you
can maintain the 8 inch rule.( some prefer seed stitch or basket weave).
- We have a good supply of wool- we can deliver to you after Easter or you can pick it up from the
“yarn depot” (email Lauretta, firstname.lastname@example.org for directions) or if you are using your
own wool, that’s great (any colour or colour blend is acceptable) and any weight is also acceptable (just
keep that 8 inch rule in mind!). Remember, the lighter weight yarns will require more stitches and
more knitting, so worsted weight works the best.
- If you run out of yarn before you have reached 8 inches you can just add another colour of yarn and
continue knitting – just make sure the yarns are the same weight!
- Please finish off your square – no loose ends – thank you!
- The more squares the better! Ask knitting friends if they would like to contribute to this very fun
project. Non GANG members are welcome to knit squares for us!!
Questions?- email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Update April 26: We now have 416 squares!!! Enough for 9 blankets…yippee!!! Thanks to all those who are knitting away. If you want to join this project please email Lauretta email@example.com or June firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Update May 3: We now have 575 squares – we are doing great! – and we are having fun! If you want to join this project please email Lauretta or June (email addresses above).
Update May 10: The marvelous knitters have produced 728 squares thus far!!! Way to go ladies!!! As always, contact Lauretta email@example.com or June firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on how you can help!
Update May 17: Knitters are on a roll!!!
We now have more than 904 squares for our blanket project – wowzers!!!! Now we need help putting the blankets together. We have some great gals working on them already but we really need a few more hands on deck. If you would care to help us out please, please give me a call – I will make you cookies! – Lauretta – 780-466-9510 or by email email@example.com. We are SO excited to be able to show you our amazing finished products when all the blankets are stitched together!